Junior High Classes
The main goals of mathematics education are to prepare students to:
- use mathematics confidently to solve problems
- communicate and reason mathematically
- appreciate and value mathematics
- commit themselves to lifelong learning
- become mathematically literate adults, using mathematics to contribute to society.
At the completion of a program, students should have developed a positive attitude toward mathematics and have a base of knowledge and skills related to Number, Patterns and Relations, Shape and Space, and Statistics and Probability.
English Language Arts
The aim of English language arts is to enable each student to understand and appreciate language, and to use it confidently and competently in a variety of situations for communication, personal satisfaction and learning.
Students become confident and competent users of all six language arts through many opportunities to listen and speak, read and write, and view and represent in a variety of combinations and relevant contexts. All the language arts are interrelated. In the outcomes of the and interdependent; facility in one strengthens and supports the others program of studies, the six language arts are integrated.
The General Outcome for Junior High English Language Arts are listed in the attached document
Social studies provides opportunities for students to develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge that will enable them to become engaged, active, informed and responsible citizens. Recognition and respect for individual and collective identity is essential in a pluralistic and democratic society. Social studies helps students develop their sense of self and community, encouraging them to affirm their place as citizens in an inclusive, democratic society.
CORE CONCEPTS OF CITIZENSHIP AND IDENTITY
The General Outcome for Grade 7, 8 and 9 are listed on the attached file.
The dynamic relationship between citizenship and identity forms the basis for skills and learning outcomes in the program of studies.
Science programs provide opportunities for students to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that they need to explore interests and prepare for further education and careers.
The Goals of the Junior High Science are:
- encourage students at all grade levels to develop a critical sense of wonder and curiosity about scientific and technological endeavours
- enable students to use science and technology to acquire new knowledge and solve problems, so that they may improve the quality of their own lives and the lives of others
- prepare students to critically address science related societal, economic, ethical and environmental issu
- provide students with a foundation in science that creates opportunities for them to pursue progressively higher levels of study, prepares them for science-related occupations, and engages them in science-related hobbies appropriate to their interests and abilities
- enable students, of varying aptitudes and interests, to develop a knowledge of the wide spectrum of careers related to science, technology and the environment.
|Grade 7||Grade 8||Grade 9|
Interactions and Ecosystems
Mix and Flow of Matter
|B||Plants and and Food Fibre||Cells and Systems||Matter and Chemical Change|
|C||Heat and Temperature||Light and Optical Systems||Environmental Chemistry|
|D||Structure and Force||Mechanical Systems||
Electrical Principles and Technologies
|E||Planet Earth||Freshwater and Saltwater Systems||Space Explorations|